Jump to main navigation. Jump to main content

St. Michael's Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Minneapolis

A block away from St. Constantine’s Ukrainian Catholic Church is yet another church established by Ukrainian immigrants.  In 1917, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church was separating from the jurisprudence of the Russian Synod and once again was returning to the practice of Ukrainian traditions.  This was the time that Ukraine was fighting to regain its national identity.  A small group of Ukrainians living in northeast Minneapolis took up the cause by founding St. Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church in 1925.  The newly formed congregation met in St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church located at 9th Avenue and 5th St. SE before erecting their own church in 1926 at 505 4th St. NE. 

Category: 

Neighborhood: